Sorry kids, I may well spam you today. Josh and I decided it would be better for everyone if we wait until next weekend to get the kid. I told him I wanted him to be able to get enough rest, hence he is still snoring right now and I have time to do stuff. YAY!!!
So, first things first. I’ve been putting this off too long. Here is the list of goals I set last year:
- Be able to put $25 into savings every month and leave it there. Nope.
- Get enrolled in the Technical Communication graduate certificate program. Kind of – that’s what I’m actually in, but I’m going to take it further for a full blown Master’s degree. I just need to get the right paperwork taken care of. Yay!
- Only buy yarn when I have a project selected and ready to start. It’s been so long since I’ve bought yarn that I’m fairly sure this happened, but I maybe got one ball that I did have a project for but never have started – if that’s the case it would have been a $2 ball of cotton for a wash cloth. Yeah, we’re still gonna call this a win.
- Work on my book at least 2x per month. Book? What book?
- Take better care of myself by taking my vitamins more regularly and exercising more often. Uh, yeah – no, didn’t really happen.
- Start working on christmas presents earlier in the year. Didn’t make a single gift this year and didn’t really start shopping until the end of November and then finished the weekend immediately prior to Christmas. Spectacular fail.
- Brush and floss my teeth every day. Really starting to think that dentures would be so much easier.
All in all, I suck. Let’s try this again…
- Exercise at least 2x/week for at least 30 minutes each time.
- Minimize consumption of beverages that are full of empty calories.
- Keep healthier foods on hand at home and at work so it’s easier to eat better.
- Earn As in the classes I take.
- Stay organized at home and at work.
- Quit smoking before 12/31/14.
That’s enough I think.
Ok, so I was cleaning out my Google Drive this morning and found a few documents that I apparently created last spring when I got on my “let’s get healthy” kick. One was just a table to keep track of my weight by week and the other is a spreadsheet to keep track of my walking. We have a treadmill and I had gotten to the point – for a very short time – where I was walking 3 or 4 days week for at least 30 minutes. I really want to get back to that place. The walking not only made my body feel better, but it also made me sleep better.
Anyway, I’ve been thinking more about our group collective effort to get healthy this year. I think it would be awesome if we could have a badge for those of us who’d like to display it – is anyone creative like that and could make one? I have some really basic skills, but I’m sure one of y’all could do something way more nifty than me. At any rate, here’s what I’m going to do – once a week I’ll post the following information. I’d like to say I’ll always do it the same day, but life around here is just not that predictable. I’m contemplating posting a full body – clothed – photo to document progress, but I’m not sure I’m quite that brave (or if it would gross anyone out). Might just take those and save them on my laptop for myself and then when I feel like I’ve hit a significant milestone I can post one.
Ok, so every week at some point you can expect from me:
- Did I lose? How much?
- Did I exercise like I intended to?
- Did I come across any tips or tricks that made something easier this week? Could be a food or exercise tip or something dealing with managing stress or other mental health concerns.
- If I’ve run across any great recipe or healthy eating ideas, I’ll share those – might not happen every week.
Now, I’m not expecting everyone to feel compelled to share all of this – it’s really entirely up to you. Sheena pointed out that accountability helps her, so I’m guessing she’ll likely do most of this.
I know we’re all big kids, but I honestly think this bit bears repeating:
- We keep the focus on getting HEALTHY, not SKINNY. This will involve mental health as well as physical health and the goal is to feel good as a whole human being. And it is definitely NOT a competition – we’re here to support each other.
- It will probably be easier if we each post individually on our own blogs, perhaps on the same day of the week. Not sure what that day should be and if we should have something that we include in the post titles to identify that it’s part of this.
- It would be awesome for all of us to share our successes, our troubles, our tips for things that help us be healthier (recipes, relaxation techniques, motivational strategies, etc).
We’re stronger when we stick together.
Here’s my starting info:
- Height = 5ft 6in
- Weight (as of 1/11/14 8ish am) = 264.5lbs
I would like to lose 1 – 3 pounds per week. I will start exercising this weekend. I’d like to try to always give y’all the updates on Saturdays, but we’ll see.