Hmm, I tend to have a LOT of routines, mostly because routines help those of us who have Bipolar function just a little bit better most of the time. Fewer decisions that have to be made on the fly lessen the likelihood of cognitive overload. Doing the same shit the same way all the time lessens the likelihood of forgetting something important, like taking pills. And in all honesty, routines are efficient. If I’ve taken the time to figure out the best way to do something once, why the fuck should I do that thinking shit all over again?
I imagine the “routine” of mine which is maybe most weird is my getting ready for bed routine. (it’s in quotes because it’s kind of long and involved and maybe isn’t as much a routine as just a string of shit I do every fucking night)
It looks a little like this:
- Turn off the computer and/or tv and phone at 8pm.
- Take pills, all 11 of them.
- Get out clothes for the next morning.
- Get out accessories (shoes and jewelry) for the next morning.
- Load everything in my backpack that doesn’t require refrigeration.
- Turn on the fan.
- Give Evie her thyroid medicine.
- Pet and/or brush Evie if she’ll let me near her.
- Talk to Josh.
- Hopefully pass out shortly after 9pm.
As for habits, I have quite a few of those as well.
- I park my car in only one of two places in the parking garage at work, depending on which building I’m leaving from. If I don’t, I’ll “lose” the car.
- I always leave my car keys one of two places – in a dish on the table in the entry way, or if the jeep is parked in the garage at home I’ll leave the keys in the cup holder. While I’m at work the keys always go in the top flap pocket of my back pack.
- I pack my smokes. I was going to try to find a video of this for you, but damn, they all suck. Suffice to say, before you open the pack you beat them on the butt of your palm – filter end only. I rotate mine while doing this. And it must be done 3 times. MUST. Don’t ask why, I have no fucking clue anymore.
- Farmer Farthing
- Knocked Over by a Feather
- Alice at Wonderland
- Not a Punk Rocker
- Rose B. Fischer: Herding Muses
- Green Embers
- The Indecisive Eejit
- Marbles, Dandelions, String
- Fish of Gold
- Wanna Be Uncool
- Adventures of a Girl Gamer
If I’ve missed anyone I apologize, just make sure to add your name to the list.