I’m fried, kids, F-R-I-E-D, fried. Most everything hurts, my head feels like it’s full of bubbles, and I honestly think there is nothing holding me together at this point but sheer mean. And there’s one more fucking day in this miserable excuse for a goddamn week.
I haven’t exercised. I haven’t sketched. I’ve barely knit. And I haven’t touched my book at all. I am doing SWELL.
Thank gawd Mom and Josh have picked up a bit of my normal stuff these last two days while I’ve worked late – namely dinner duty. I gotta tell you, coming home to a prepared meal that didn’t come in a paper wrapper is pretty fucking awesome.
And it’s hot here right now, like HOLY CHRIST I’M MELTING kind of hot. Heat never ever helps my mood or my energy. All I want to do is lie on my bed naked and not move. Sadly enough, when trying to maintain gainful employment, laying around naked is rather frowned upon – unless you’re in the adult entertainment industry, I suppose.
At any rate, I haven’t had much time for much of anything. I know I’m behind on comments here, but I’ll get to them. I’ve tried to keep up with reading your posts and leaving y’all comments, but I’m probably farther behind with that than I realize, too. This week is generally the worst of it, so next week I’m hoping to honestly get back to what passes as normal around here.
But I’ve been thinking about something I want to do, and letting it simmer in the odd times that my brain isn’t chugging away at a technical/pedagogical issue at work, and I think it’s time to let it loose. This is in no way final or formal or any other interesting word that begins with F. I just want to put my idea out there and let it bounce off a few of the walls of the interwebs and see what happens.
So, I’ve mentioned this Building a Life Worth Living business and how I intended to come up with a set of longer term goals that I would use as feeders of a sort for my weekly Building Rome project. What follows are those goals. The numbered lines are the goals and the lettered bits beneath are how I’m thinking I might get there or, in some cases, the sub-steps I’ll need to take.
- Be able to put $150 into savings every month and leave it there.
- Evaluate the monthly budget to see if there are places I can tighten
- Examine other avenues of bringing in additional income
- Get A’s in all of the courses for my degree.
- Make a plan for deliverable deadlines based on semester schedule
- Allow for at least 3 hours per week for deliverables
- Knit something that gets completed every month. (size and difficulty don’t matter)
- Brainstorm ideas – bonus for projects that use yarn I already have
- If possible, line up project bags for each month that include as many of the necessary supplies as possible
- Keep track in my knitting journal
- Work to improve my drawing skills.
- Sketch something every day
- Continue participating in at least one blog-based drawing challenge
- Make exercise a regular part of my routine.
- Walk on the treadmill at least 3x a week
- Start at 15 min / session
- Level to 30 min
- Level to 45 min
- Level to 60 min
- Work to improve my marketable skills.
- Join Code Academy
- Work on HTML skills
- Work on CSS skills
- Learn Java
- Learn PHP
- Read the Smashing Newsletters
- Create one new tech comm / design piece each month
- Make a daily full oral hygiene routine and stick to it.
- Ties in to taking a shower since I brush my teeth in the shower – need to do that every day
- Brush in the shower, floss at night before bed
- Read for pleasure on a regular basis.
- Set aside 30 minutes at least 2x / week
- 30 minutes 3x / week
- 30 minutes 5x / week
- 30 minutes every day
- Work on a good way to address my skin conditions.
- Research – are there legit home remedies?
- Research – is there a reputable dermatologist in the area?
- What medical treatments are available?
- What alternative options are available?
- Plan a long term creative project that incorporates a new skill or a skill I haven’t perfected yet. Start the project and finish it before my 40th birthday.
- Brainstorm ideas – needs to be affordable, but otherwise anything goes
- Setup a timeline for learning the skills necessary and then completing the project
Like I said, not sure what it’s going to look like to get there and these aren’t in any particular order. I just wanted to get everything out of my brain so I can start analyzing it. Keep in mind that these are long term goals and I have no plans to get them done within a tight timeframe. In all honesty, if I could get everything accomplished by my 40th birthday (not until March 2016) then I’d be quite happy. Your thoughts are always welcome.